Thursday, January 22, 2015

Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday

Welcome! If you’re new around these parts, I’m Michelle and you’ve landed at From Bolt to Beauty, where I chronicle my triumphs (and tribulations) at my sewing machine.

I sew—bags, pouches, pillows, curtains, you name it. I quilt—big projects, little projects, and everything in between. Sometimes I even play with felt or paper.

This week’s finish is another Sew Together Bag. My first one, a Christmas gift for my mom, was my last big finish of 2014. It was a lot easier than I imagined it would be. The zippers—all four of them—were a breeze. (Don’t believe me? Check out my review of the pattern.) Still riding the satisfaction of that finish, it was time for another Sew Together Bag, for me ...


My latest one features Anna Maria Horner’s Loulouthi line on the exterior and Lizzy House and Tula Pink prints on the inside. Everything is trimmed with Quilter’s Linen in garnet. My 10-year-old self would have been heartbroken to hear that I’m not a fan of rainbow quilts, but I would have redeemed myself with the purple and pink interior of this bag.


Would you believe that this latest iteration was harder for me than the original one? I had higher expectations this go-round. The first time, I was preoccupied with the zippers, and that part went smoothly. This time I was hoping to reduce the puckering I experienced on the sides and to bind the bag more neatly. I had some success on those fronts.

For instance, check out the stitching under the binding. It completely blends into the zipper, and I love that! I have seen other quilters sew binding to a quilt top, wrap around to the back, and sew from the back, using bobbin thread that matches the front. The method worked especially well here with the burgundy zipper and thread. Now that I’ve experimented with it, I’d consider binding a quilt that way, too.


Bags #3 and #4 are already in process. I need a little break from Sew Together Bags, but I look forward to finishing them up with slender sides and beautiful binding.

Linking up to Sew Cute Tuesday and Bag Brag Tuesday ...

Follow on Bloglovin

http://tgiffriday.blogspot.com/

So what have you been up to the past week? If this is your first time at TGIFF, the rules are simple:

•    Post your finish in the linky tool.
•    Point your readers back to TGIFF with a text link or button. (You’re welcome to swipe the TGIFF image above.)
•    Visit and comment on other participants’ finishes.


13 comments:

  1. That LouLouthi print is one of my all time favs! Awesome job. I believe it! The second time I made bias tape went awfully (the first time was fine). Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous bags Michelle, you are really on a roll with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I do my bindings by sewing to the front and back... love that method. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bag is lovely. I almost makes me want to make one- I seem to have more than enough bags about so I'm avoiding new bag patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these bags! I made my first one...the other with 5 zippers, but really like this one better! I must get the pattern! Your's are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally want this bag. You may want to keep an eye on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great finish! I have been wanting to make one of these and I need to really get on the band wagon! You did such a great job! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that bag is so pretty xxxx www.crazyforpurple.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous bag! The Sew Together Bag is on my list of "get brave enough to make" projects. The zippers were a breeze? Maybe I'll have to bump it up a little higher on my to-make list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so want to make one of those bags. I looked at the pattern in a store and then put it back thinking it was an expensive pattern but it is so cool. I might have to splurge! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot wait to make one! This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely use for this AMH fabric! It makes your bag extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on hosting TGIFF, your bag finish looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I almost always respond to comments by email. If my response might interest others or if you're a no-reply blogger, I'll post it here.